Rollercoaster Hockey
Background:
- This week, I caught a cold again for the 3rd time in two months.
- This week, I turned 24.
- This week also marked the first time I went sleep deprived for about 11 days with about 55 hours to show for sleep+nap time. I was so tired that I turned away friends who brought me cake (sorry), and my usual excitable tired-self was converted to a hyperpolarized tired-self (yes, APs are still firing off in my head over one day after that midterm).
- This week also did not start off on a good note with a tough Cardio MT on Monday that did not go well for me. With the toughest final of my life looming too close in the near future, I was not a happy camper.
Tonight, I went to a hockey game... and I've never been to a losing game in 12 years. I don't know if I needed the tears, but for some reason they nearly came out with the introduction song they play before les boys (Canadiens players) step on the ice for the game.
1st period
Les boys get off to an awesome start. With two goals in the first 7 minutes of the game. The visiting team, Florida, is completely flat-footed and overplayed. Everyone is happy with their beers, and inside my mind, I'm wondering if we'll score and win by a score of 8-0.
Scratch that thought... Florida scores. It's 2-1, and we begin to sip our beers cautiously.
2nd period
Les boys score one more. It's 3-1. And everyone lets go a big sigh of relief. Two goal lead mid-way through the game, and our beers are half-full! Easy win, right?
Hell no! Before the period is done... 3-2, and our beers are half-empty.
3rd period
Now it's a nightmare, les boys fall asleep. Florida comes to life and scores two goals to tie the game and then go up 4-3 with less than 5 minutes left in the game. The air around me grows silent. Everyone seems to be sneaking lost glances down into their empty cups of beer.
The last minute was a long one. Les boys pulled their goalie for the extra-attacker, but nothing seemed to be happening. At the corner of my eye, I see disappointed fans start to leave their empty beer cups and out the exit. The countdown went something like this in my mind...
- 15 seconds: one last offensive rush...
- 10 seconds: one last shot on goal...
- 9 seconds: the shot gets lost in the crowd in front of the net, but it certainly didn't go in...
sigh...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
-8.1 seconds: GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The crowd EXPLODES! Against all odds, the tireless, hard-working buzzer bee, Steve Bégin, scored with 8.1 seconds remaining in the game. Never before in my 15 years of watching hockey have I been present at such a rare event. I turn to my right, high-five Patrick. I turn to my left, and shake Gurinder's hand. I turn to the ice, and start cheering way beyond my lung's tidal volume.
Overtime
Midway through, les boys score the winning goal. The crowd explodes again, this time, happy-strangers all around exchange hugs, handshakes and high-fives with me. Simply unbelievably awesome! Everyone exits the building chanting Olé, Olé, Olé...
Moral of this story:
This week isn't over, time for a Bégin comeback now!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home