Venting like a BBQ Chicken
So, yes, this post has been a long time coming. I'm in the middle of 3rd year medicine at the moment, and I feel like crap. I finished a 24 hour shift yesterday, slept most of today, and I'm already past my bedtime (because I have to wake up at 6AM daily now), but I just need an outlet to vent all this frustration that's been building up inside me for the past year. Simply put, I'm tired. I'm tired of all the long 12+ hour days and more than occasional 24 (up to 32) hour shifts I put in one or twice a week in the hospital. After these shifts, I get home and I'm supposed to spend another four hours or so with my nose in a book studying for the end of rotation written/oral exams. It would help if I could get into some sort of rhythm, but just when I feel that I'm settling in, I'm hit with another 24+ hour shift, my next day is spent sleeping and I never really recover until the day before my next 24+ hour shift. To top it all off, the second I start working well in the rotation, it's already time to switch to the next rotation, and once again, I'm a blank sheet. It's already bad enough to know that I'm a blank sheet, but this fact has to be repeated again and again to me that I don't know enough (and I admit that I don't... which is why I'm a student) by the staff or residents who can on a whim start grilling you at their whim. Right now, feel roasted and over-cooked like a BBQ chicken breast that has been left on a BBQ left at high heat for an hour. Over the past year, I've felt like quitting this life many times, but I've never had the courage to actually carry it out. At the other end of the spectrum, I do feel that I'm making a difference and I am helping patients feel better, but it's really consuming me completely. I don't have a life: I almost never go out to relax and enjoy the night anymore, I don't really see my friends outside of medicine and my last vacation is easily two years ago. Essentially, I feel burnt out... but I've felt this way many times before... and I'll probably feel like this again. I've had a URTI for most of the past two months, my hands are cracking up like crazy because I wash them a million times throughout the day and I feel like crap. Why and what am I doing to myself... Anyway, I only have 5 hours to sleep before I start another eventful day trying my best to help others through their miseries. I just hope I'm doing the right thing for myself while I'm at it and that this will all be worth it in the end.
PS: if I don't get into the specialty that I was hoping to get into since before I entered medicine, then I would really feel that I've done all this for naught. I pray that I never have to deal with that situation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home